SANFIRE Braves The Shave for Charity!

Information pertaining to arrests, arson investigations, statistical data and more; that has been released to the public.
Alex Jorgensen
GTAW Forum Name: Jorgensen
Badge Number: 49041
Primary Assignment: Public Relations Branch

Post by Alex Jorgensen »

In 2022 an estimated 1.9 million US citizens died from cancer, in 2023 its estimated 2.0 million will die from cancer - October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and an estimated 42,000 deaths of those statistics are related to Breast Cancer in women and 500 of men.

This month SANFIRE has supported Cancer Awareness, on average of all first responders - firefighters are 2.4% likely to be diagnosed with occupational-related cancer, prostate, leukemia or lung cancer and deaths are 1.6% higher than the general population of the United States.

SANFIRE deputies on Saturday attended "Wig out! Breast Cancer" to show their support for the attendees brave enough to brave the shave alongside Pillbox Hill Medical Center, ULSA, Diversify and San Andreas Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation as well as a few deputies were brave enough to face the clippers of resident hair stylist Maxine and donate their hair to charity. Something they will be forever proud of and no doubt onlookers and other colleagues in attendance were proud too!
Deputy Michael Anderson Before and After

Deputy and PIO Michael Anderson was the first of the San Fire deputies involved in the event brave enough to brave the shave and he had this to say to Public Relations;

"Even though i'm relatively new to public service, I do know how much of an impact cancer has on everybody's lives. By getting shaved, I can at least help alleviate some of the stresses and frustrations of the countless victims to such a cruel disease. By being in public service, I also know how much of a detriment cancer is, especially in the fire service when exposed to so many toxic chemicals. I've always engaged in cancer charity work as it's impacted my own family and countless friends - as i'm sure it has to many others."
Deputy Wyatt Johnson Before and After

Deputy Wyatt also stepped up to forgo his locks in aid of charity, speaking to Public Relations after;

"Years ago before joining San Fire I had the unlucky experience of the sudden tragic loss of a close buddy of mine during my high school years due to cancer. We were close friends and almost like siblings - Something like that you never really truely recover from. Such a loss touched me a lot and I decided that I wanted to sign up for the event and help out with the people in need more than I do, it's also my way of remembering my friend and a sort of tribute to be able to stand in solidarity with those suffering from the terrible experience of living with cancer."
Deputy Alex Jorgensen Before and After

Deputy and PIO Alex Jorgensen finished off the San Fire contributions, his partner also attending the event cutting his locks off had this to say;

"As a long term public sector worker, originally working for the Los Santos Fire Department as a firefighter - I've had the unfortunate experience of losing multiple colleagues and friends to the horrible fate of cancer - having sadly lost the individual who mentored me, Freddy Mellet - such a pure soul who took me under his wing when I was just a probationary firefighter. This is my third year in a row forgoing my hair and standing in solidarity with those with this horrible lifelong illness and poignant in a way of remembering Freddy - After all, it's just hair, it'll grow back!"

All in all, our deputies were proud to stand hand-in-hand with twenty five other participants who braved the shave for charity at the event organised by Chief Public Defender Laurent Blackwell and Miss Faith LaBelle - October may be over. But, our support for cancer awareness and those living with cancer will never waiver.

Civilian Administrator II A. Jorgensen
SANFIRE - Department of Forestry & Fire Protection
Sr. Public Information Officer
Enforcing the San Andreas Fire Code since 1885