SAN FIRE's August Recruitment Ends

Information pertaining to arrests, arson investigations, statistical data and more; that has been released to the public.
Alex Jorgensen
GTAW Forum Name: Jorgensen
Badge Number: 49041
Primary Assignment: Public Relations Branch

SAN FIRE's August Recruitment Ends

Post by Alex Jorgensen »

SAN FIRE's August Recruitment Drive Ends
Deputy L. Barrett, Training Deputy leads an academy session

Wednesday culminated in the end of August's Marshal recruitment - A quieter summer LEO Academy. But, all the more successful as the newest batch of Deputy Fire Marshal trainees were celebrated in a small ceremony at SANFIRE's renovated Vespucci Training Facility.

Trainees Anderson, Fiore, Laurenson, Sanders and Sorton were given a warm welcome by colleagues from the department as well as Assistant State Fire Marshal Richard Harris and Division Chief Calvani who conducted the ceremony, receiving their badges and taking their oath of office, to promise to serve and protect the people of San Andreas.

Division Chief Calvani who led the ceremony said a few words, as well as welcoming the new trainees thanked colleagues for their support;

"Good afternoon everyone, we have gathered today to welcome our new recruits to the Department. I would also like to thank some colleagues for their outstanding commitment during this recruitment drive. Deputy Adams and Deputy Barrett, have been particularly important in shaping this recruitment drive to what it is, with their units the Recruitment and the Training Unit. Therefore, I would like to thank them once again.

But now to our new deputies, they have shown during the last months that they have outgrown themselves. All together they have mastered our recruitment process and the Academy like the exam. I am proud to see that we are getting such talented new blood for our department. They truly deserve this moment and should be honored for all the effort they put in.

I do hope that you all will make us proud and represent the values we taught you during the academy."

Group photo of the graduates (Anderson, Laurensen, Sorton middle right)

The ceremony was then continued with a speech by Assistant State Fire Marshal Richard Harris who welcomed the new trainees further as well as congratulated Field Training Officers on another drive;

"I'll keep it short today contrary to the last time I spoke at a ceremony.

First of all, I wish to extend my thanks to all our guests attending here today, you do not only honor our Department, but also our Graduates.

Now, as for you lucky devils calling you Deputy State Fire Marshals, you have my utmost admiration. There is still a lot to learn, but this step is a milestone in your career. I hope you will celebrate it accordingly later. But on a serious note, I am confident in youra bility to rise to all the challenges that lay ahead of you. And you are far from being alone on this journey - you have the support of your fellow colleagues and supervisors.

Congratulations to you once again. Your service inspires us all and with foresight and the right attitude you'll shape the future of our State."

Not only was today a celebration of the achievements of graduates from the LEO Academy. But, Assistant State Fire Marshal Richard Harris also wished to honor those who have served with SANFIRE longer term;

"Now, there is one more item on my agenda today. You Graduates will enjoy the guidance and supervision from some extraordinary individuals in our Department and I can't think of a better moment to honor some of them, on behalf of the Department and State Fire Marshal Madison, who was unfortunately unable to attend today.

To begin with, Chief Calvani, please join me by the podium. ow, there are few individuals in our Department with such a immaculate service record and dedication such as yourself, Chief Calvani. I can't think of a single emergency or scenario that you haven't personally responded to, no matter the time of day. And you have been more than a teacher to most of our new Trainees, but a mentor.

I therefore, in recognition of your services, issue you the Exemplary Conduct Award.

Now, the standard set by Chief Calvani is something all our trainees and recruits should aspire to. The virtue of dedication. Another virtue I wish to honor today, is fearlessness, braveness, and calm when facing grave danger. And in order to honor such, Deputy Barrett, please join me by the podium.

Now, Deputy Barrett, you have caused me a lot of trouble so far. At least when it comes to paperwork. That is at least when it comes to use of force reports. But on a serious note, you have more than one time proven your dedication and bravery in line for the Department, while also suffering grave personal injury as a result.

For your latest actions, where you heroically put your life on the line to protect another, I hereby award you with our highest commendation - The Medal of Valor.

But not only that - you have also been injured more than any other Deputy as a result, and therefore are awarded our purple heart on top.

Now, thank you again, Deputy Barrett. We've had two virtues and core pillars of our Department so far. Dedication and Bravery. Now, the last component, which makes me very proud of our organization, is Initiative. Some people turn their heads when challenges approach. But some - very few - see opportunities for change and improvement.

These ceremonies and our recruitment process overall wouldn't be the same without one woman. Deputy Adams, please join me.

Now, not only have you hosted the best career fair I've ever heard of, but also been the good soul and and the pioneer of Recruitment and Training. Without you, we wouldn't be standing here today, honoring the achievements of these young men and women.

There are few tasks which are more important than choosing, training and preparing the next generation. And in honor of your achievements, I hereby award you with our Leadership award, as its first ever recipient.

Now, as for your Trainees, take my words from earlier to heart. All of these fine Deputies and their colleagues have invaluable experience and expertise that will help you along the way. And one day, someone will stand here to honor your own if you follow their path and guidance.

I shall therefore conclude our little ceremony. Thank you all for attending, and congratulations to both our Graduates and my exemplary colleagues."

So this time around, there was more than just graduation to be celebrated. But - Also the achievements. Achievements of those who have come before with Deputy Ella Adams, Luke Barrett and Chief Vincenzo Calvani honoured with awards for their work within the department and holding, what can only be described in Chief Harris' own words virtues all Deputy Fire Marshals should aspire to.
Group photo of Award recipients Adams, Barrett and Calvani with Chief Richard Harris

SANFIRE Bureau of Public Relations would like to congratulate the students of SANFIRE's August 2023 LEO Academy on their graduation to the Field Training Programme and wish them luck in their future careers as Deputy Fire Marshals as well as congratulations to all award recipients for their dedication and service to the Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

Civilian Administrator II A. Jorgensen
SANFIRE - Department of Forestry & Fire Protection
Sr. Public Information Officer
Enforcing the San Andreas Fire Code since 1885